05 Jan 27 Lessons learned in 27 Years of Life
Today is my 27th birthday. As part of my celebration, I’ve decided to share 27 lessons that helped me get to where I am today and will help me continue onward. I hope they are of as much value to you as they are to me.
- You get out of life what you put into it. Nothing more, nothing less.
- Love is a gift best given without the expectation of reciprocation.
- If you have not struggled, if you have not failed and gotten back up, you have not truly triumphed.
- Every culture, every religion, every tradition, every person on earth has something that you can learn, appreciate, and enjoy, so don’t turn your back on them, less you live not to enjoy life.
- Happiness comes from making other people happy.
- The best way to live today is to try and do better than you did yesterday.
- Choose and prune your relationships wisely. They are the single greatest investment you can make if you choose and nurture them properly.
- Family and friends are more important than money, material wealth, or anything else. Never lose sight of that.
- Never make a decision in a moment of anger. It’s rarely ever the right one.
- Never say no to a good adventure.
- A real friend makes excuses for his friend, rather than condemning.
- Be yourself. The world has enough people trying to be someone else.
- Stop and smell the roses. It’s the little things in life that make it the richest.
- Jealousy, resentment, and grudges hurt you more than them.
- Live with honor. Honor is rarely respected anymore and will differentiate you from the rest.
- Laugh more. Happiness is medicine for stress.
- Some people will dislike you. That’s life. Concentrate on doing what’s right and don’t worry about the rest.
- Not every relationship is meant to last forever.
- Life is not easy. If it seems like it is, you aren’t doing it right.
- The past is there to teach you lessons. The future is there to exercise what you’ve learned.
- Always question. Don’t hold on to beliefs. Explore new ideas often, and reassess your own ideas every day.
- Spend time with yourself. Not alone, but with yourself. Nurture yourself, reach deep within yourself, find yourself, know yourself. When you truly know who and what you are, you’re better prepared to be your best self.
- Make other people smile. It’s the easiest thing to do, and it makes you feel great.
- Marry your best friend.
- Take a lot of pictures. They will make you smile years from now.
- Your comfort zone is a tomb. Get out of it and really live life.
- Live life to the fullest. You only get one shot, and once it’s over, it’s over. Don’t live for tomorrow, enjoy every second of today.
With these lessons in mind, I look forward to the upcoming year and the years to come, and thank all of my friends and family for accompanying me on this journey called life.
What do you think of my lessons? What do you have to add? Leave a comment below and share your wisdom.